the history of laumc

An integral part of the community since the early 1950's

Stone church sign with red flowers in front, reading “Los Altos United Methodist Church” beside a sidewalk
the laumc story

a brief history

In the early 1950s, the east side of Long Beach was growing very fast. New single-family homes were built by the hundreds, which resulted in thousands of new residents in the Los Altos area of that part of Long Beach. The California-Arizona Conference (now the California-Pacific Conference) recognized a need to establish a Methodist Church in the area. 

 

An initial gathering of interested residents resulted in the congregation renting Stanford Junior High School for worship and Sunday school.  The initial 97 Founding Members grew quickly to 277 members in 1956. 

 

Once the land at the corner of Willow Street and Woodruff Avenue was acquired, the chapel and an education wing was built in 1956. The campus continued to grow and membership did as well.  The sanctuary was consecrated in 1956.



Los Altos United Methodist Church’s history has been rich and the congregation continues to minister to its constituents as well as serving as a mission outreach arm in the greater Long Beach community and the world. A full complete history of the church can be obtained by contacting the church office.