Los Altos Ministry News
Youth & Family Ministries
This past year in our ministries with young people (children, youth and families), we have been led by Jesus’ call for God’s people to love God and our neighbors. Through Sunday worship; Wednesdays at Everyone’s Inn and throughout the summer at Groundlings Camp, our campus has been alive with fellowship, discipleship and the joy of following Christ together. Below are some highlights of our ministries to love God and neighbor this past year:
• We re-ignited a small group ministry that launched a Women’s small group; a Spiritual Parenting Small Group (both lay-led; clergy supported); a small group for small group leaders with youth; and a College+ small group.
• We expanded adult leadership in both children’s and youth ministry, welcoming four new small group leaders.
• We continued our work to develop young leaders in and through the church.
• We continued our work to welcome all ages to worship together through leading a parent-teacher team, focusing on the how-tos of monthly all-ages worship and growing the Sunday school program.
• We served monthly throughout the year at Broken Loaf Food Pantry as well as at the Living Waters Shower Ministry. Youth raised $1200 for Souper Bowl of Caring; $600 for CROP Walk; and $3,000 for Imagine No Malaria. We also took a team of 14 youth and adults to a week-long Sierra Service Project in San Diego, California. Additionally, we held three service-nights at Everyone’s Inn, where we prepared 150+ lunches for our homeless community on two occasions and 50+ blankets for dialysis patients on one occasion.
• We worked to promote and learn about justice issues in our church, local community and world. This included the Love for All celebration in Pasadena; the MLK march in Long Beach; the interfaith anti-gun violence rally in downtown Long Beach and more.
• We shared the Gospel with 30 families at Groundlings Summer Day Camp in its third successful year. Older adults, college students and youth volunteered together to make camp a wonderful place of welcome, learning, belonging in Christ and lots of fun! Plus, for the first time in many years, we sent four children/youth to Lazy W Ranch summer camp.
It’s been an exciting and meaningful journey this year, and we look forward to spreading even more blessings in 2017!